Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

85 - "Forrest Gump" (1994)

     This is one movie that I feel pretty safe assuming most people have seen so going into plot details is probably not necessary. Some people that know me very well may be surprised to find this movie on my list because I have spent some time bashing it. But there's an explanation to those rants. It's not that I dislike the movie, I obviously do seeing that it made this list but I think it absolutely robbed The Shawshank Redemption of the Best Picture Oscar. That's my only beef with it, I don't think it was nearly on the same level with that film so I hold a little bit of a grudge. Spoiler Alert: The Shawshank Redemption is high, VERY high, on this list. But Gump is certainly a great film and Tom Hanks does a wonderful job portraying this simple, yet very complex, man from Alabama. I do believe Gary Sinise as Lt. Dan steals the movie when he is on screen and the scene on the boat towards the end when he comes to accept things in his life is a great moment. This is another movie where the soundtrack plays a big role in the success of the film. I'm not a big soundtrack guy but when it's notable it really stands out and that is the case here. Sally Field, Robin Wright and Mykelti Williamson also give nice supporting performances to this film which deserves the accolades it received....except that Best Picture Oscar.

No comments: