Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Sunday, May 29, 2011

60 - "The Wizard of Oz" (1939)

     Here's one that should make the purists proud. The oldest movie on my list is certainly one of the most enjoyable and a true classic in every sense of the word. I've never been a big fan of musicals, and while this isn't labeled a musical,  there is a lot of song and dance in it but it just clicks with me in this case. I still get goosebumps early in the film when the great Judy Garland sings "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". That song took even more meaning to me later in life when I lost a son. Now I can't see that part of the movie without getting a little emotional as I associate that song with my little boy so much. The imagery in the film, whether it be Munchkinland, the Emerald City or any of the other many destinations along the way are unforgettable. The Wicked Witch of the West gave me nightmares as a child and is such a memorable villain. And who can ever forget Scarecrow, Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion and of course Toto, who join our heroine Dorothy on her journey. The Wizard of Oz is a timeless classic and is a must own in any home movie library.

No comments: