Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Thursday, May 19, 2011

74 - "Avatar" (2009)

     I remember thinking when I first heard about this movie that I had no desire to see it. It just didn't sound interesting at all. James Cameron was at the helm and was making an epic picture that could sink the unsinkable Titanic (pun fully intended) from the top of the box office charts. I just didn't buy it and did not see Avatar until several months after it's release when it was played as part of AMC Theaters Best Picture Showcase. Wanting to see all the movies that were nominated I finally sat down to watch it with my 3D glasses on......and was completely blown away!! For over 2 and a half hours I was completely hooked and when it was over I felt that I had truly seen something that transformed cinema. Then a funny thing happened several months later and I watched this at my parents home on their television and I did not have those same feelings at all. In fact, I was kind of bored at times, I have to admit. So this movie is hard for me because I can only recommend it the way it was intended to be seen, in 3-D in a theater environment. I'm sure this movie will be re-released at least once in the future and if you didn't catch it in a theater, you should. So maybe it's a little mean for me to have it on the list but at the same time I can't deny how I felt when I saw it that first time. It was one of the greatest theater experiences I have had and that has to be on the list. (Due to this movie only being a couple of years old, and it also being the highest grossing movie ever, I'm skipping any plot details. I'm pretty sure everyone knows at least something about the story, so it seems kind of pointless. I will probably do a full review one day down the road.)

No comments: