Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Sunday, May 29, 2011

61 - "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" (1991)

     Here's another film that may get some weird looks from people but I'm okay with that. If you go back to one of my first blogs where I defended the work of Kevin Costner, I spoke highly of Robin Hood and felt that this is one of his movies that gets a bad rap for a stupid reason. One criticism I have heard about this movie is that Costner doesn't have the right accent for the Robin Hood character....Really?? That's your problem with the movie? The mans accent. Once again I say, get over it. I thought this movie was great with some wonderful action scenes. Costner is Robin Hood and is joined by Azeem (Morgan Freeman), Will Scarlett (Christian Slater), and the merry men of Sherwood Forest to go after the Sheriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman) who murdered Robin's father. Robin's childhood friend, Marian (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio), also does her best to assist in the overthrow of the evil sheriff. All of these roles are played extremely well, especially Rickman as the sheriff. The action comes pretty steadily and never once did I think things slipped into a corniness that this film has also been accused of. There have been many film adaptations of the Robin Hood story and while I haven't seen all of them by any means, this is by far the best of the ones I have seen.

No comments: