Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Thursday, May 26, 2011

65 - "The War" (1994)

     The War is one of those movies where from the moment I saw it I feel like I have been standing on a mountain shouting to the world to "SEE THIS MOVIE"....only to have it fall on deaf ears. Or when someone did take my recommendation and watched the film they just didn't get the same enjoyment out of it that I did. There's been one or two folks who have liked it, but I generally fell like I'm standing on an island with this movie. Well, if I'm on the island alone, that's fine with me because I think The War is a very underrated film and is a hidden gem. Kevin Costner is Stephen Simmons, a vet who has returned from Vietnam with psychological and emotional issues that he is dealing with regarding his time there. Elijah Wood and newcomer Lexi Randall are his kids, Stu and Lidia, who are basically the stars of the film. Stu and Lidia, along with their friends, build a nice tree fort in the woods but find themselves in a feud with another family of kids, the Lipnickis, who come from a poor family and are dominated by their alcoholic father. Stephen tries his best to teach his kids that peace should always be the main goal and fighting will only lead to trouble. These lessons will be put to the test with Stu and Lidia in a big way following an accident that changes their life. If there is one issue that some people seem to have with The War is that the movie is very sentimental and preachy, sometimes overly so. And while I agree with that I feel the message that the movie preaches is a good one and I am able to look past some of these issues. The War made me cry, pure and simple, and I'm fine with that. I am moved by the story and because of that I will keep yelling from that mountain to make sure people seek this film out.

No comments: