Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Saturday, May 14, 2011

80 - "Casablanca" (1942)

     Movie "experts" everywhere can rejoice!! I have a classic movie in my list finally. I've made it no secret that there will not be a lot of movies in this list that were made pre-1980. I just haven't bought in to some of the older movies like others have even though I fully admit that I need to give more of them a try. I watched Gone With The Wind and Casablanca over the course of one weekend several years ago when I was going through a phase of wanting to finally see some of these classics. I thought Wind was an okay movie and there were things about it I liked, I just feel it's way too long. That's my biggest issue with it, there are some scenes that just drag. But I fell in love with Casablanca upon seeing that for the first time. Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman are former lovers who through a series of circumstances are reunited at a popular nightspot in Casablanca that Rick Blaine (Bogart) owns, during World War II. Rick is bitter towards Ilsa (Bergman) at first because she split up with him but as he learns the reasons why, he begins to understand her situation. Ilsa is now with Victor Laszlo a Czech underground leader who is being sought by Nazis. Rick can help them escape but will he? Casablanca is a wonderful film and if you are like me and have held off seeing this film for too long, take my advice and give it a shot. This one truly is a classic in every sense of the word.

No comments: