Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Wednesday, July 6, 2011

9 - "Airplane!" (1980)

     I've sat here for movie after movie and explained why I loved each one. Acting usually plays a big part for me. Story, obviously, is a big one. Then you have things like music, special effects, cinematography, all of that good stuff. Well, you can throw it out the window for this movie. Airplane! is on here simply for the fact that it is the funniest movie ever made, pure and simple. I have seen this movie more times than I can possibly remember, but each time I see it it still feels fresh and as funny as the first time I saw it. Giving a plot description is pretty pointless as it just isn't important. Basically it's a bunch of people on an airplane flying to Chicago. They get food poisoning and a lot of the passengers and crew members get sick forcing a troubled ex-fighter pilot, with a drinking problem, to take control of the plane. That's all you need to know. Just sit back and go along with the ride. Airplane! became a trendsetter and spawned many movies that were known for their sight gags and dialogue that is eye-rolling. The Naked Gun and Hot Shots! films are direct descendants. But none can stand up to the ridiculousness of the original Airplane!.... I could sit here and go on for hours talking about this movie, but I'd probably start to bore you...(you thrust a sword into your abdomen)
    If that last line didn't make any sense, see the movie and you will understand. Just see the movie. Multiple times. It's great.

3 comments:

JustMe said...

I've only seen this movie ... ONCE. And that was when I was in middle school. "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Mickster said...

Aw, you've got to see it again. So many great sight gags that are easily missed without repeated viewings.

JustMe said...

Put it on the list of movies you have to bring to Disney.