Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Saturday, December 17, 2011

Movie Review - "Bridesmaids" (2011) ***1/2

     I can't remember what movie it was that I went to see earlier this year, but as I was walking through the theater, I saw a large cardboard advertisement for Bridesmaids. I distinctly remember rolling my eyes as I passed by it and thinking to myself, "Well, there's no way THAT will be any good." I paid no attention to any reviews or promotion for the film and I had forgotten about it as the summer went along. Fast forward to the past few weeks. We are in "Awards Season" where all the different critics associations start handing out their year-end honors for the films of 2011. Something started raising my eyebrow, Bridesmaids was being nominated, and even winning, some of these accolades. When the AFI (American Film Institute) named it as one of the 10 best films of the year, that really opened my eyes up and made me second guess myself on this film. So I rented it On Demand and decided to give it a shot. The old saying is true, "Don't judge a book by its cover".......or a movie, I guess.

     The film has a pretty simple storyline. Annie (Kristen Wiig) and Lillian (Maya Rudolph) are best friends since childhood. Things have not been going well for Annie. She's in a relationship with an uncommitted jerk named Ted (Jon Hamm), her cake bakery business has gone out of business, and she is struggling to pay even the smallest bills. So when her best friend tells her that she is getting married, Annie is obviously happy for Lillian, but there is definitely a little bit of jealously. Annie agrees to be the Maid of Honor though, she is Lillian's best friend after all. At the engagement party, we meet the other bridesmaids; Rita (Wendi McLendon-Covey), Becca (Ellie Kemper), Megan (Melissa McCarthy), and Helen (Rose Byrne). Helen is Lillian's newest friend and is one of those "perfect" ladies that other ladies usually hate right away. It isn't long before Helen and Annie are butting heads over how to give Lillian the best wedding possible. Annie is sure that Helen is trying to replace her as Maid of Honor and will do anything to avoid that. All of these ladies want the best wedding possible for Lillian, but can they come together and bond before destroying the whole event before it happens?

     I was surprised by how much I laughed during this movie, it even had me doubled over a couple of times. The movie is directed by Paul Feig, who is best known for his work in television on such shows as "Freaks and Geeks", "The Office", and "Arrested Development". Bridesmaids marks his directorial debut in movies. The movie is produced by Judd Apatow, the famous producer/director who is responsible for many comedies over the last decade and a half, including 40-Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Superbad, just to name a few. His movies are known for their raunchiness, so you'd think this would be something different. It's not. This movie is every bit as raunchy as his predecessors, maybe that's what appealed to me. This isn't a movie for the kiddos by any means!! There is a scene, which I have learned has already become legendary, where the bridesmaids have some food poisoning "issues" while trying on bridesmaids gowns. I was shocked to see this unfold before my eyes, but I couldn't stop laughing at the same time. This is something I would expect from a movie like The Hangover, not a "chick flick". All of the actresses perform admirably, but Melissa McCarthy is the standout in my opinion as Megan. Her character is a complete riot and I would not be shocked to see her pick up an Oscar nomination for Supporting Actress. Wiig's performance is also getting some well-deserved attention but a Best Actress nomination seems like a long shot. I don't know, it was just missing that little something. Don't get me wrong though, she does a great job. I doubt Bridesmaids will make my top 10 list for the year, like it did with the AFI, but it's going to be darn close. This is a funny movie and I'm glad I got over my initial bias and gave it a shot. It was a fun two hours.

No comments: