Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Monday, April 15, 2013

Movie Review - "End Of Watch" (2012) ****

     In my previous review, for the 3D re-release of Jurassic Park, I mentioned that 1993 was the year in movie history that turned out the best movies on a consistent basis. I'd have to do a little comparison (which I will eventually) but I think 2012 may be close, if not better. There were so many great films released last year, this on the heels of a pretty weak run during the previous handful of years. I thought I had seen most of the top films from last year and felt confident I wouldn't see anything else that would garner a four star review or higher. Well, I missed one. After hearing some positive things about End of Watch, I was curious about it, yet skeptical. I'm not a big fan of cop-buddy films, so I didn't go out of my way to see it and was waiting for the cable run. But a friend had a copy of the blu-ray and let me borrow it. I'm glad he did. I should have seen this film a lot sooner, the praise it has received is warranted.

     The premise of the film is pretty basic. It follows the day-to-day work of two cops in the dangerous south central area of Los Angeles. Officers Mike Zavala (Michael Pena) and Brian Taylor (Jake Gyllenhaal) risk their lives every day to protect the citizens of the streets they patrol. They routinely run up against people who do not respect them, and even some who attempt to kill them. They run into burning houses to rescue kids when the fire department arrives late. They enter buildings not knowing what dangers lie around each and every corner. They are true heroes of our country. They also live fairly normal lives while not on the job. Zavala is married to Gabby (Natalie Martinez) and the couple is expecting a baby soon as the movie opens. Taylor is tired of going from woman to woman and thinks he has finally found someone who is right for him in  Janet (Anna Kendrick). As Zavala and Taylor drive around time waiting for the next call, they spend time discussing their relationships with each other, showing the trust they have in each others opinions. They are put to the ultimate test when a Mexican drug cartel that they have had a couple of run-ins with targets them for execution. The duo will need to utilize all their skills to escape the wrath of their ruthless pursuers.

     End of Watch is written and directed by David Ayer, who is best known for writing the film Training Day, which landed Denzel Washington a Best Actor Oscar. I was not a big fan of that film at all. It just didn't seem real to me and I can think of several other performances from Washington that should have netted him the award, but not that one. I think that was more of a career achievement Oscar. (He should have won this past year for Flight) What Training Day was lacking though is very prevalent here in End of Watch. This movie feels very real. I'm not a cop, never have been, never even really knew one, but the relationship between the two main characters seems like it is very authentic. They joke around with each other and can talk to each other about anything. When trouble calls though they are at the top of their games and have each others back. This is all a success because of the brilliant acting of Pena and Gyllenhaal. I don't think I've seen Gyllenhaal better since October Sky. I'm less familiar with Pena's work but he has been a few films I have seen, I just don't remember those films for his performances. I WILL remember this one. He is superb. Natalie Martinez and the lovely Anna Kendrick have smaller, but important, roles as the love interest for our main actors. Both do a great job leading us to care about what happens with these guys during their jobs, because we want them to get home to their loved ones. This movie will not be for everyone. The violence is excessive at times and there are enough F-bombs here to make a mechanic blush. It is a very gritty film and hard to watch at times. Also, much of the film has a documentary feel to it based on the fact most of the shots are filmed with handheld cameras, which is a plot device used in the film. If you are not a fan of shaky camera syndrome, it may be another roadblock to viewing this. But if you can get past those things, what remains is a wonderful story and one of the most underrated films of last year. I highly recommend it.

   

   

No comments: