Famous Movie Quotes

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." - Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) Jurassic Park



Friday, April 20, 2012

Movie Review - "Martha Marcy May Marlene" (2011) ***1/2

     Well, if you are looking for a nice, pleasant, feel-good movie for a warm afternoon...this is not it. If you are looking for something deep, dark, and makes you feel like you need a shower afterwards...by all means jump in. That's not to say that Martha Marcy May Marlene is a bad film, it's not, but wow is this a dreary picture. I had not heard anything about this film until this past Oscar season when I heard mentions here and there of it being a possible dark-horse candidate for some nominations, including Best Picture and Best Actress. It was highly regarded by a couple of critics that I admire so while it never came to theaters in my area, I made a mental note to add it to my Netflix queue and catch it later. I had high expectations coming in and while there are things about the movie that I really enjoy, I came away for the most part feeling a little let down.

     Elizabeth Olsen, sister of famed twins Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, stars as Martha, a troubled young lady who has spent the past two years living with a cult under the name of Marcy May. As the film opens, Martha has run away from the cult and turns to her estranged older sister Lucy (Sarah Paulson), and Lucy's husband Ted (Hugh Dancy), for assistance. Martha is obviously troubled and does not choose to tell Lucy and Ted about her past two years, though it is obvious she has experienced something traumatic. The movie plays as a series of flashbacks of Martha's time with the cult and the abuses she experienced there at the hands of cult leader Patrick (John Hawkes), interspersed with present time and Martha trying to adjust to a new life where actions she once experienced as acceptable are now frowned upon. For instance, Martha wants to swim in Lucy's lake and strips down all of her clothes and jumps in naked. This was normal behavior in the cult, so Martha is confused when Lucy and Ted get upset with her and tell her she can't do that in public. She has been brainwashed to the point she doesn't understand right from wrong in many instances. These episodes cause a lot of frustration for Lucy and Ted and it threatens to put a strain on their relationship. When Martha becomes convinced that cult members have found her hiding place and are coming for her, the line between reality and delusion are unclear and we worry that too much permanent damage may have already been done to save Martha.

     This is one of those films that I believe I would have liked a little better if a few things had been done differently. I had some issues with the flashbacks in this movie and more than once I was confused which timeline I was in for a minute or two. I can usually follow along pretty well when movies use this storytelling technique, but here it felt a little TOO choppy in parts. There wasn't always a clear break where we would switch over and I started getting frustrated a bit with this. Also, without giving any spoilers, I will say that this movie has an open ending. It ends abruptly during a scene we are very interested to see what happens in, and we do not get an outcome. This seems to be happening more and more in films, and I'm always torn on it. There are times when it really works, so I understand why it's done, but there are times also where I feel it's lazy and the filmmakers didn't want to commit to something. I sort of felt that way about this movie. I wanted a closure to this story and I didn't get it, I feel it was a bad use of the ambiguous ending. My final complaint is that story is a bit too slow with it's pacing. This is not an action-packed adventure by any means, it's not intended to be, but man this thing drags at times. They save it by keeping the running time at a manageable hour and forty-five minutes.

     All those things being said, I do ultimately recommend this movie. The acting is all adequate to very good with Elizabeth Olsen and John Hawkes really shining in their roles. Olsen may not be as well-known as her younger sisters but that will change in due time. She is very pretty and has a presence on screen that you are immediately drawn to. She reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence a bit in that sense, they exude a quiet confidence about them. She will definitely be an actress to watch in the coming years. Hawkes is also very convincing as the cult leader Patrick. It's easy to see how he gets his followers to love him and ultimately obey his every word with his words and actions. Hawkes never goes overboard into Charles Manson territory, we get the feeling he is always in control, and Hawkes nails that. Sean Durkin is at the helm of the movie and he is a first-time writer and director. He has some kinks to work out but for a first feature, it's a job well done. There are some frustrating things to deal with while watching, but Martha Marcy May Marlene comes as a recommend. It's not going to be for everyone though.

Note: Just to explaing the title/name. Martha is here given name. Marcy May is the name the cult gives her. Marlene is the name that all female cult members use when answering the phone. So there you go.

No comments: